Term 2: "Up in the Air"
Week 4: After watching the video and reflecting discussing and brainstorming
1. Collect your materials.
2. Make sure you have your recording sheet and have added your name (you will complete a plan and complete three tests - Test for Accuracy, Test for Power, Tower Test.)
3.Make sure you have your iPad so you can video (or have a buddy video your process and some of your attempts).
4.Watch this 'how to' video and build a catapult:
Check out the photos provided for ideas when beginning your own design, remember the design process
Ask, Imagine, Plan, Create, Improve
Egg Drop Challenge:
You need your iPad so that you can photograph and record the process and your attempt at the final challenge (also you may choose to do your plan/design on the iPad)
Objective: Design a system to protect an egg from cracking or breaking from a high fall.
Materials: Use anything you'd like! Some ideas include: paper towels, straws, tape, cardboard tubes, paper, popsicle sticks, baggies or old boxes. You have access to all of the supplies area.
You have a planning and a recording sheet (to predict whether your peers will might the challenge.....or not!)
Paper Plane Challenge:
You need your iPad so that you can photograph and record the process and your attempts at each task (also you may choose to do your plan/design on the iPad)
You need to develop planes that can accomplish 4 tasks
1. Stealth Each student will get one attempt to throw his or her plane to have the longest flight time. Student will receive one point for each second it is in the air. Materials: stop watch.
2. Flight Tracker Each student will get two attempts to obtain a best throw for longest distance. Student will receive one point for each metre travelled.
Materials: measuring tools
3. Landing Site Each student will get two attempts to land their plane in the trash can. Trash should be placed 2.5metres from the start. Students receive ten points for landing in the rubbish bin and five points for making contact with the trash can.
Materials: rubbish bin
4. Worm Hole Each student will get two attempts to fly their plane through a hula hoop balanced by two students on a traffic cone that is 4.5 metres from the starting line.
All the materials you need will be on your station plus you have the supplies area to select from.
Your laminated challenge card has everything you need to know as well as the step by step instructions for a prototype plane to get you started (if you test it you will find that the design needs some definite improvements!)
You will need to download this app onto one of your team members iPads
You will also need your iPad so that you can photograph and record the process and your attempts at meeting the challenge.
How high did you go?
How far did you go? (without crashing!)
Can you design a points system to find out who is the most talented 'driver/navigator'?
Investigation: Using iPad Microscopes and a range of materials (see your tray - remember to use the 'zoom' to remove the circle and to magnify as much as you can. )
You will need your iPad so that you can use the microscope and photograph the process and then use your photographs in either of these apps - Pic Collage, Book Creator or Keynote to share your learning.
Looks like, Feels like....what is it?
Tell us more...